Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 13th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sydney airport shuttle

I've noticed in a few threads people have advised against using shuttle services to/from Sydney airport. Just wondering if there is a good company anyone would recommend?
I've seen differing fare estimations for taxis from airport to circular quay - anywhere from $37 - $60. Not sure how up to date some information is - can anyone give me a recent figure?
Thanks.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2crooze View Post
I've noticed in a few threads people have advised against using shuttle services to/from Sydney airport. Just wondering if there is a good company anyone would recommend?
I've seen differing fare estimations for taxis from airport to circular quay - anywhere from $37 - $60. Not sure how up to date some information is - can anyone give me a recent figure?
Thanks.
Taxi prices vary depending on time of day (peak-v-nonpeak) and day of week. Although Sydney Int'l is only 10Km (7mile) from Sydney the traffic can be horrendous during morning and afternoon rush hours. Weekends is usually OK with little traffic except Sunday mornings at Int'l terminal.
Taxi prices also vary according to where you are going and if the driver uses the tollway, the cost of which is added to your fare. The average fare could then be budgeted at $50. Less on weekends (15-20 minutes) and more during peaks (30mins+).
Most cruise lines offer Coach transfers at around $28pp and take a max of 30 pax due to luggage requirements. Some people seem to travel with huge suitcases that weigh a tonne. Contrary to some threads, the coaches don't wait until they are full.
As far as shuttle buses are concerned. It is illegal for drivers and operators to tout (solicite) your business at the airport. All shuttle services have to be prebooked, so check out Mr Google. Have experienced bad service with some though. Get one that delivers you direct to ship or your hotel, not via New York so to speak.

Just Completed:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 27 Jan 2014 7 night Tasmania
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 30 Nov 2013 12 night South Pacific
RCI Radiance of the Seas 19 Apr 2013 Transpacific 18 nights Sydney to Hawaii
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 11 Feb 2013 7 night Tasmania
RCI Radiance of the Seas 6 Mar 2012 17 night Australia/NZ our Anniversary Cruise
Cruise Review: Australia/NZ http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=100935.
http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripw...5-77a2-b752?ln

Next Up:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 29 Aug 2014 Alaska SB
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 3 May 2015 14 night Asia & India Repo
RCI Legend of the Seas 20 Apr 2016 18 night Brisbane to Hong Kong

Old July 14th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for your reply, Cassamanda. We're thinking we might just go for the taxi. There are four of us, so on economies of scale it works out reasonably well. Our two kids are quite young though (3 & 5) so I'm going to have to find out about car seats and whether we would have to book some kind of special taxi with safety seats for them.

Old July 14th, 2012, 07:44 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2crooze View Post
Our two kids are quite young though (3 & 5) so I'm going to have to find out about car seats and whether we would have to book some kind of special taxi with safety seats for them.
That makes things difficult.

According to the law they do need to be in a car seat. However, when I had to take a taxi and specifically requested a car seat, the taxi driver still turned up without one. They would be very rare so that would also delay your usage.

I'd say it's unlikely there will be an issue if you take the risk, as undesirable as that is. In your situation though, I'd probably choose an alternative (train, shuttle or coach).

Old July 14th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Red face Paying for a taxi in Australia

We will be in Australia and wonder if we can pay for the taxi with US Dollars or use a credit card.

Old July 14th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsume2 View Post
We will be in Australia and wonder if we can pay for the taxi with US Dollars or use a credit card.
axis are allowed by Federal law to charge a transaction fee for use of a credit card - usually the service providers set it at 10%. US Dollars are not accepted. There are change booths at all airports or you can use your card in a cash card teller to get AUD.

Old July 15th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsume2 View Post
Strongly recommend you take some Aussie dollars with you and pay for everything here in AUD

Just Completed:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 27 Jan 2014 7 night Tasmania
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 30 Nov 2013 12 night South Pacific
RCI Radiance of the Seas 19 Apr 2013 Transpacific 18 nights Sydney to Hawaii
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 11 Feb 2013 7 night Tasmania
RCI Radiance of the Seas 6 Mar 2012 17 night Australia/NZ our Anniversary Cruise
Cruise Review: Australia/NZ http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=100935.
http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripw...5-77a2-b752?ln

Next Up:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 29 Aug 2014 Alaska SB
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 3 May 2015 14 night Asia & India Repo
RCI Legend of the Seas 20 Apr 2016 18 night Brisbane to Hong Kong