Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Jamaica

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Us issues warning for jamaica

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...=Google+Reader

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info. We're looking at booking another vacation and that was one of the spots. I guess this narrows it down for us.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I wonder if cruise ships will find another stop?

Grand Princess - 2002/Western Carribean
Sapphire Princess - 2004/Alaska
Disney Wonder - 2005/Carribean
Crown Princess - 2007/Bermuda & Carribean
Grandeur of the Seas - 2008/Bermuda
Carribean Prncess - 2010/Bermuda & Carribean

Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
5,000+ Club

This is for Kingston. None of the cruiseships go there (for good reason).
2003 - Coral Princess /
Celebrity Summit
2004 - Mariner of the Seas
2005- Star Princess /
Norwegian Jewel
2006 - Caribbean Princess /
Volendam
2007 - Costa Magica /
Carnival Legend
2008 - Norwegian Sky /
Eurodam
2009 - Norwegian Jewel /
Carnival Liberty
2010- Oasis of the Seas /
Celebrity Solstice/
Norwegian Pearl
2011 - Celebrity Eclipse /
Celebrity Millennium
2012 - Norwegian Star /
Carnival Valor
2013 - Crown Princess
2014 - Celebrity Century

Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

State Dept warning - whether yes or no, I would not go back to Jamaica after 3 cruises that stopped there. Natives are much to aggressive for comfort and drugs are out of control. Too bad because it is a beautiful island that could offer so much. It got so bad for a while that the Jamaican government had tourist police to reduce or eliminate the aggressive people, but even that didn't work. So it is an island I either avoid completely on the itinerary or just stay on board and enjoy an otherwise empty ship

Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Most ships call at Montego Bay or Ocho Rios which is across the mountains on the other side of the island from Kingston. Kingston is not known as a tourist destination.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoandhugh View Post
State Dept warning - whether yes or no, I would not go back to Jamaica after 3 cruises that stopped there. Natives are much to aggressive for comfort and drugs are out of control. Too bad because it is a beautiful island that could offer so much. It got so bad for a while that the Jamaican government had tourist police to reduce or eliminate the aggressive people, but even that didn't work. So it is an island I either avoid completely on the itinerary or just stay on board and enjoy an otherwise empty ship
I agree!!!

Past Cruises:
Jan. 2014 - Celebrity Equinox
May 2013 - Grand Princess (10 day Alaska from San Francisco)
Feb. 2012 - Ryndam
April 2011 - Radiance of the Seas (15 day Reposition - Panama Canal)
Feb. 2010 - Emerald Princess
Feb. 2009 - Caribbean Princess
Jan. 2008 - Adventure of the Seas
June 2007 - Mariner of the Seas
July 2002 - Explorer of the Seas
Feb. 1996 - Song of America

Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I read it and its not for all of Jamaica. But it is for Kingston area. There is a difference. I would still go to Jamaica but not to the Kingston area as they are appearently having problems. If nervous either stay on board or take a ship sponsered tour activity. Just keep an eye out and pay extra attention.

I am a single lady who travels alone quite a bit and I have learned to pack light, no expensive jewlry and keep just a tiny bit of cash on me. I also keep sharp and alert and just am aware of all surroundings.

Adri
"Future Cruise Mariner of the Seas October 31st 2010 Boo and Mystery Cruise Cabin#9291"

"Just remember when Driving in Alaska, take plenty of water, keep the gas tank full, pack some food, first aide kit, emergency number is 911 and watch out for Animals, Construction and other People"

"Its not the Destination that matters its the Journey"

"Thier are no people with horse problems But thier are horses with people problems"

Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

This just confirms one of the reasons why we don't visit Jamaica.

REGAL PRINCESS
GRAND MEDITERRANEAN
SEPT 23RD 2014
PRE CRUISE WITH FAMILY IN MILAN!

Last edited by highheel girl; May 22nd, 2010 at 03:54 PM.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:25 PM
5,000+ Club

Unhappy

Gee what a surprise ...Been to Jamaica many times ..REFUSE to go back Ocho Rios and Montego Bay were scary enough

nO thank you

Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ocho Rios scary ? Oh PLEASE !!!

Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I went to Jamaica year before last, and had no problems at all...some of the men were not happy with their "pat" down at reentry..men go thru one line, ladies go thru another. My hubby got yelled at because he went thru the very short ladies line..but his bag was already going thru, so he just got yelled at but didnt make him go back thru.

And, if your afraid, just a warning...the ships tours wont make you any safer...one family was held up by machette during one of their excursions..the local police and towns people hunted the criminals down, and one was killed on the spot! They know tourist are their bread and butter, so they wont put up with these rouges...but hey, this happens in every city of the US! I would still go in a heart beat, and will in September.
Princess Grand, Western Caribbean 2-06
Splendour Of the Seas, Greek Isles/Turkey 7-06
Carnival Destiny, San Juan 2-07
Pride Of America, Hawaii 7-07
Carnival Conquest Cupids Group Cruise 2-10-2008
Explorer Of the Seas, Bermuda 7-26-2008
Mariner Of the Seas, Mexican Riviera 2-22-2009
Crazy Conquest 7 day Cruise to Cozumel 9-26-2010
Voyager of The Seas, Feb 27th, 2011
Carnival Magic Jan 29,2012
RCCL Mariner Of The Seas Feb 5th, 2012
Carnival Magic April 22, 2012
Carnival Magic August 25,2013

Hawaii land trip to Oahu, Feb. 4, 2013
Hawaii 7-07
http://community.webshots.com/user/daltx50

Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofgren View Post
Ocho Rios scary ? Oh PLEASE !!!
Ditto... The usual total over reaction to Jamaica by people who want to be wrapped in cotton wool.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

There must be good reason for so many people to feel that way.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRLHR View Post
Ditto... The usual total over reaction to Jamaica by people who want to be wrapped in cotton wool.
That's not necessarily true. If you had good experiences in Ocho Rios, you're lucky. I stayed there for a week, and I was very scared. We were in college, and were continually harassed by the staff at our "5 star" hotel, who called us in the middle of the night and asked us if we wanted to have sex with them. We were attacked by two men with machetes while on a van ride to Negril. We were called "racist" for listening to our walkmen (yes, I'm aging myself on the beach, and were propositioned for sex whenever we walked down the street; there were 8 of us, and we couldn't go anywhere without being whistled at and occasionally groped. I couldn't wait to get home.

Poor is one thing--lots of places have poor people. Being harassed and propositioned is quite another. I would not choose to go back there. We gave it a chance when one of our cruises stopped there, but after an hour of being harassed, I knew nothing had changed.

So...don't discount someone else's experience in Jamaica or anywhere else just because you've been lucky enough to have a great experience. I wish I loved Jamaica, I really do. Some people don't like Paris, but I love it. I'm sure they have their reasons.
Brilliance
Enchantment
Grand Princess

Last edited by bluegirlum; May 23rd, 2010 at 09:06 AM.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

This warning is for Kingston, which is away from the tourism areas. Kingston is ALWAYS a hot spot for trouble. The one thing this means is you might want to skip the Bob Marley museum trip.

I have stayed in Jamaica 19 times and have loved it every time. It's too bad that cruise ship passengers see only the side of Jamaica that is the craft market, because NOTHING you have experienced prepares you for it.

Jamaica is a beautiful, soul-healing place and if you respect the people, they respect you. I'd advise anyone interested in Jamaica to go and stay there. There are big all-inclusives and smaller hotels where you get to know the staff and they remember you from year to year. I'd be happy to suggest some off-board for anyone who wants to know. I also know of a good driver that my sister used when her cruise was in port in Jamaica last year.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegirlum View Post
That's not necessarily true. If you had good experiences in Ocho Rios, you're lucky. I stayed there for a week, and I was very scared. We were in college, and were continually harassed by the staff at our "5 star" hotel, who called us in the middle of the night and asked us if we wanted to have sex with them. We were attacked by two men with machetes while on a van ride to Negril. We were called "racist" for listening to our walkmen (yes, I'm aging myself on the beach, and were propositioned for sex whenever we walked down the street; there were 8 of us, and we couldn't go anywhere without being whistled at and occasionally groped. I couldn't wait to get home.

Poor is one thing--lots of places have poor people. Being harassed and propositioned is quite another. I would not choose to go back there. We gave it a chance when one of our cruises stopped there, but after an hour of being harassed, I knew nothing had changed.

So...don't discount someone else's experience in Jamaica or anywhere else just because you've been lucky enough to have a great experience. I wish I loved Jamaica, I really do. Some people don't like Paris, but I love it. I'm sure they have their reasons.

If you don't mind my asking, what resort did you stay at in Ocho Rios? Also, I am wondering how you were dressed when the propositioning and groping incidents occured? I ask, not to blame you for the incidents (as one should be able to walk down a street without such harrassment), just out of curiosity. In many of the Caribbean islands, the local men are used to seeing women dressed conservatively. So when they see college girls from the US who may be scantilly dressed, they may engage in the behavior you described. No excuse, I agree, but most of the travel guide books for Jamaica and other islands warn against revealing clothing anywhere but on the beaches.

Last edited by oncruisecontrol; May 23rd, 2010 at 05:59 PM.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncruisecontrol View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what resort did you stay at in Ocho Rios? Also, I am wondering how you were dressed when the propositioning and groping incidents occured? I ask, not to blame you for the incidents (as one should be able to walk down a street without such harrassment), just out of curiosity. In many of the Caribbean islands, the local men are used to seeing women dressed conservatively. So when they see college girls from the US who may be scantilly dressed, they may engage in the behavior you described. No excuse, I agree, but most of the travel guide books for Jamaica and other islands warn against revealing clothing anywhere but on the beaches.
We stayed at Sandcastles, which you actually walk right by when you come off the ship. The beach there is the beach we were on. (ETA: Too bad we didn't have Trip Advisor back then. I just looked at current reviews and they pretty much say what we experienced quite a few years ago. Sad).

We definitely were NOT dressed provocatively, so that's why it was even more frustrating. We had shorts (not short shorts) and t-shirts and tennis shoes or flip flops. And usually baseball caps because it was so hot. Even going from the beach to our room, we all covered up. We were all modest midwestern girls And I love my friends, but none of us would've been considered that pretty. I could see if we were talking around in some of the things college girls wear now, but that was definitely not us.

We did find out that there were some US women at our place that came down 4 times a year just to have sex with as many Jamaican men as possible. Maybe they thought we were part of that group? I'm not sure. I had travelled a lot before that, and we all had been warned in advance, but I'd never experienced anything like that. I travelled throughout Europe in high school by myself and never felt as unsafe as I did in Ocho Rios.
Brilliance
Enchantment
Grand Princess

Last edited by bluegirlum; May 23rd, 2010 at 06:45 PM.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegirlum View Post
We stayed at Sandcastles, which you actually walk right by when you come off the ship. The beach there is the beach we were on. (ETA: Too bad we didn't have Trip Advisor back then. I just looked at current reviews and they pretty much say what we experienced quite a few years ago. Sad).

We definitely were NOT dressed provocatively, so that's why it was even more frustrating. We had shorts (not short shorts) and t-shirts and tennis shoes or flip flops. And usually baseball caps because it was so hot. Even going from the beach to our room, we all covered up. We were all modest midwestern girls And I love my friends, but none of us would've been considered that pretty. I could see if we were talking around in some of the things college girls wear now, but that was definitely not us.

We did find out that there were some US women at our place that came down 4 times a year just to have sex with as many Jamaican men as possible. Maybe they thought we were part of that group? I'm not sure. I had travelled a lot before that, and we all had been warned in advance, but I'd never experienced anything like that. I travelled throughout Europe in high school by myself and never felt as unsafe as I did in Ocho Rios.

Thanks for your response.

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down there are streets in DC

where the men make obscene gestures and comments at any woman big, small, pretty, ugly just because they are women. It's stupid but that's their culture. I can't believe anyone would respond.