Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Bermuda

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Do I need a passport to get off the ship in Bermuda?

Do I need a passport to get off the ship in Bermuda? If I don't what do I need to bring? We are leaving for a cruise to Bermuda on Nov 5th out of Bayonne NJ on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas. Thanks

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Smile

No, you don't need a passport to get off the ship. You will need a photo ID such as a driver's license, and your cruise card. If there was an emergency at home and you have to fly back. That is when you would need the passport.

SBtS

Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenjisgirl View Post
Do I need a passport to get off the ship in Bermuda? If I don't what do I need to bring? We are leaving for a cruise to Bermuda on Nov 5th out of Bayonne NJ on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas. Thanks
actually the rule is that if a passport is needed for any port, you can't get on the ship without one. But its a US rule that a passport is needed to get back into the US BY PLANE but on a round trip cruise from the same US port to the Caribbean or Bermuda no passport is required on a cruise.

All you need when getting off in Bermuda is a picture government issued ID for people above 16 and the ship card. Below 16 just needs the ship card. To get on the ship in Bayonne you do need a birth certificate with the picture id(again 16 and older below 16 just needs the birth certificate)...

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

Last edited by smeyer418; October 3rd, 2011 at 06:31 PM.

Old October 4th, 2011, 10:37 AM
5,000+ Club

Technically, all you need to get off the ship is your ship's ID card. But if you want to be allowed back on, you'll need photo ID. Security people in Bermuda will want to see your ship ID and your photo ID before they let you board. In Bermuda, we carried our driver licenses as photo ID and that worked OK.

But you need more than a driver license to board the cruise at the start. If you have a passport, use that. I think it's easier than taking a birth certificate, although the birth certificate is legally acceptable.

Smeyer is right. If for some reason you had to fly home, you'd want the passport.
4 QM2 - 2 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
5 HAL
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just returned from cruise aboard Carnival Pride/Bermuda. All that was needed was our sail & sign card and drivers license. We also took the ship phone number for any problems as suggested on the bottom of the onboard newspaper. The ship advised leaving passports in cabin safes. We had no problems. Passports are needed to return to USA

Old October 11th, 2011, 12:56 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats my name View Post
I just returned from cruise aboard Carnival Pride/Bermuda. All that was needed was our sail & sign card and drivers license. We also took the ship phone number for any problems as suggested on the bottom of the onboard newspaper. The ship advised leaving passports in cabin safes. We had no problems. Passports are needed to return to USA
Actually, not for US citizens on a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise. You can take the cruise with an official government agency-issued birth certificate and photo ID such as your drivers license. You do need a passport to take an international airline flight.

The US regulation is 22 CFR § 53.2 (b)(2) which reads as follows:

Quote:
Exceptions.
(b) A U.S. citizen is not required to bear a valid U.S. passport to enter or depart the United States:

(2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;

Old July 16th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Is an original birth certificate good enough for a child under the age of 16 for boarding the ship and getting off?

Old July 16th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, but a passport is recommended.

NCL Breakaway - July 2014 - Bermuda
NCL Breakaway - June 2013 - Bermuda
NCL Star - July 2012 - Bermuda
NCL Gem - June 2011 - Bermuda
NCL Jewel - June 2010 - Florida - Bahamas
NCL Dawn - June 2009 - Bermuda
NCL Spirit - July 2008 - Florida - Bahamas
Home Lines Oceanic - May 1970 - Bahamas - Bermuda
USS Gordon - September 1966 - Nha Trang, Viet Nam

Old July 16th, 2013, 01:38 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene sea View Post
Is an original birth certificate good enough for a child under the age of 16 for boarding the ship and getting off?
Yes, for a US citizen on a closed loop cruise.

Old July 16th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

My husband showed his ship card and passport once going through security in Bermuda and they said don't bring your passport when you get off the ship just take your license.

Old July 16th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just making sure I am totally clear on this because I was wondering the same thing. My children are only 5 and 7 years old. We will be bringing their passports. This is all they need right? I wasn't planning on bringing their birth certificates, but I suppose I could if I need to.

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:56 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by genchi918 View Post
Just making sure I am totally clear on this because I was wondering the same thing. My children are only 5 and 7 years old. We will be bringing their passports. This is all they need right? I wasn't planning on bringing their birth certificates, but I suppose I could if I need to.
Yes, passports are all they need...and there's no need to take their passports (or yours) off the ship. Children under age 16 don't need any photo ID to reboard the ship...just their ship's room key card. You'll need a photo ID in addition to the room card...so take your drivers licenses .

Last edited by njhorseman; July 16th, 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Old July 16th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for the clarification.

Old July 17th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhorseman View Post
Yes, passports are all they need...and there's no need to take their passports (or yours) off the ship. Children under age 16 don't need any photo ID to reboard the ship...just their ship's room key card. You'll need a photo ID in addition to the room card...so take your drivers licenses .
Based on my experience in June 2011, my children DID need their passports to reboard the ship in Bermuda. The first time we left the ship, we left all the passports onboard. My husband and I carried photo id, but the children (4 and 7) did not. When we tried to reboard, we were told for one of us to board, get the children's passports and return with them. From then on, we took them with us.

It may have changed, but this was our experience. We will carry their photo ids with us next month.

Past cruise photo reviews (click for review):
Celebrity Summit - December 2013 - Southern Caribbean Photos
Celebrity Summit - August 2013 - Bermuda Photos
Celebrity Summit - July 2013 - Bermuda Photos
Carnival Fantasy - April 2013 - Nassau, Freeport Photos
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec 2012 - Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Maarten and Half Moon Cay Photos
Carnival Freedom - Jul 2012 - St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau Photos
HAL Westerdam - Nov 2011 - Half Moon Cay, Curacao, Bonaire
Celebrity Summit- June 2011 - Bermuda
Celebrity Century - December 2010 - Jamaica and Grand Cayman
Carnival Fantasy - November 2010 - Nassau, Freeport and Key West
Carnival Valor - June 2010 - Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan, Belize, Cozumel
Celebrity Summit - December 2009 - San Juan, St. Maarten, Dominica, Grenada, Tobago and Barbados
Carnival Pride - June 2009 - Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport
Carnival Imagination - December 2008 - Key West and Cozumel

Old July 17th, 2013, 09:42 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntil8ing View Post
Based on my experience in June 2011, my children DID need their passports to reboard the ship in Bermuda. The first time we left the ship, we left all the passports onboard. My husband and I carried photo id, but the children (4 and 7) did not. When we tried to reboard, we were told for one of us to board, get the children's passports and return with them. From then on, we took them with us.

It may have changed, but this was our experience. We will carry their photo ids with us next month.
You ran into someone who didn't know their job. Ask yourself this question: What would have happened if your children (or you) didn't have passports? US citizens don't need a passport for a closed loop cruise to Bermuda...a birth certificate and photo ID suffices...and children under age 16 don't even need the photo ID.

I know someone who ran into the same situation in Bermuda when cruising with a grandchild. I believe he had to get a supervisor to correct the agent who was demanding unneeded documentation.

Old July 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
see my grandkids above? the older one has been to Bermuda three times and the younger twice. No passport no picture ID. In fact the older one has been on a cruise also taken by NJ Horsemen...They get off the ship and have always been allowed back on. They don't have passports. The older has been on 6 cruises and the younger 5. When getting off the ship in Bermuda all we take for them is their key card. Same thing on other cruises never been a problem...

Old July 18th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyer418 View Post
see my grandkids above? the older one has been to Bermuda three times and the younger twice. No passport no picture ID. In fact the older one has been on a cruise also taken by NJ Horsemen...They get off the ship and have always been allowed back on. They don't have passports. The older has been on 6 cruises and the younger 5. When getting off the ship in Bermuda all we take for them is their key card. Same thing on other cruises never been a problem...
Thank you, I was going to bring their passports just in case, but I will plan on leaving them in the safe when we get off in Bermuda. I'd be too afraid of losing it that way anyway.

Old July 19th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thank you, I was going to bring their passports just in case, but I will plan on leaving them in the safe when we get off in Bermuda. I'd be too afraid of losing it that way anyway.
It's always better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
RCI Brilliance Of The Seas 2004 (Panama Canal)
RCI Serenade Of The Seas 2006 (Southern Carib)
NCL Norwegian Spirit 2008 (Cruise To Nowhere)
RCI Liberty Of The Seas 2008 (Western Carib)
RCI Voyager Of The Seas 2009 (Mediterranean)
NCL Norwegian Gem 2012 (Cruise To Nowhere)
RCI Explorer Of The Seas 2013 (Bermuda)
RCI Oasis Of The Seas 2014 (Western Carib)Booked
RCI Quantum Of The Seas 2015 (Carib) Booked
NCL Pride Of America 2015 (Hawaii) Booked

Old July 19th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, I was taking if over with my husband and he feels that we should anyways have them with us. Better safe then sorry.

Old July 20th, 2013, 12:07 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigggypup View Post
It's always better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
Quote:
Yes, I was taking if over with my husband and he feels that we should anyways have them with us. Better safe then sorry.
OH NOOOOOOO, this could be the start of the great debate about taking passports with you or leaving them on the ship.