Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Italy Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Italy Ports Capri, Florence, Genoa, Naples, Palermo, portofino, Rome, Sardinia, Sorrento, Taormina, Venice

Old September 19th, 2012, 06:46 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Off Point Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
... We were in St. Petersburg in 2010 and they had Matryoshka dolls that were various political figures over time. We chose to spend our money on a more traditional collection but they were fun to look at!...
When studying in preparation for our St. Petersburg visit in 2011, I found out that The Hermitage refuses to sell Matryoshka dolls because these dolls originated in China, not Russia.

Contact Pam

Previous cruises: Riviera Istanbul to Barcelona (2014); Riviera Caribbean Hideaways (2014); Azamara Quest Adriatic Venice RT (2013); Azamara Quest Barcelona to Rome (2012), Marina Copenhagen to Stockholm (2011), Regatta Venice to Barcelona (2010), Nautica Athens to Rome (2009), Nautica Istanbul to Athens (2008)

Old September 19th, 2012, 06:56 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlitner View Post
WOW! Have been to Naples many times and recently (April 21) spent the entire day walking around town and also took the funicular to the upper (classier) part of the city. We must have done something horribly wrong because we missed the bugs, gangs of kids, unfriendly people and vendors. In fact, we had a lovely day, stopped for a few nice cups of Capuccino, had very good pizza for lunch, enjoyed chatting with some of the locals, etc. We will be back for 3 days this fall and might even spend one of those days again walking around the city looking for all this horrible stuff you describe.

Of course like any very old large city they do have their issues, too much grafitti, etc. Of course we have never have problems in US cities so this is all a new experience for us

Hank
Be still my heart, Hank is coming to the defense of Naples! (I hear the Hallelujah Chorus playing in the background.) One of these days Hank, you and I are going to be in Naples at the same time ... lunch or dinner at Il Garum (http://ilgarum.it/) will be in order.

Old September 19th, 2012, 11:22 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro cruiser View Post
Be still my heart, Hank is coming to the defense of Naples! (I hear the Hallelujah Chorus playing in the background.) One of these days Hank, you and I are going to be in Naples at the same time ... lunch or dinner at Il Garum (http://ilgarum.it/) will be in order.
LOL Euro. It almost "pains me" (not sure this makes sense) to defend your beloved Naples but our recent experience was pretty darn good. You would have been proud. DW and I walked for miles (we had a gorgeous day), strolled all the way to the Archeological Museum (the oft closed Pompeii collection had an open house) and later walked all the way into the center of town to get the funicular and then explored the upper part of town (they should call this the upper city). We even stumbled on a pretty good pizza place (it was crowded with locals so we figured it would be good) although DW still swears that the best pizza on earth is in New York City

Hank

Last edited by Hlitner; September 19th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Old September 21st, 2012, 09:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks again for all the great ideas and tips! I have marked this thread so after we are back next summer, I'll follow-up with what we actually end up doing in Naples.

One other thought I had this morning - we will be in search of some free wi-fi during our trip and I was thinking that some of the "on our own" days would be good days to do that. We're doing B2B cruises and Naples is on the second itinerary. We don't spend a lot of time "online" while traveling but we do like to check email and check in with family from the road (or the sea, in this case).

So any idea of how available free wifi hotspots are in Naples in the area we are looking at?

Oh, the Underground Tours people emailed me back that the tour prices are currently 9,30 Euro and they don't take reservations. We'll be in Naples on a Monday.
Disney Cruise Line - 12/05 Magic - Western Caribbean (Costa Maya) ~ 07/07 Magic - Western Mediterranean ~ 04/08 Wonder - Bahamas ~ 12/08 Magic - Western Caribbean (Cozumel) ~ 07/10 Magic - Baltic Sea ~ 06/11 Wonder - Alaska ~ 06/13 Magic- Back to Back in the Med (Greece, then Venice)
Carnival Cruise Line - 10/06 Fantasy - Bahamas ~ 12/11 Dream - Western Caribbean ~ 12/13 Dream - Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean - 10/09 Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean

Old September 21st, 2012, 12:34 PM
5,000+ Club

I have not found free wi-fi in Naples, so I use an internet cafe off of Via Toledo. It's pretty cheap, about 4 Euro for an hour. When we were there in March this year our oldest tried, without success, to connect to the wi-fi at the McDonald's near the port. You had to buy something and the code for the wi-fi was printed on your receipt, but even with that he was unable to connect.

Old September 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I have not found free wi-fi in Naples, so I use an internet cafe off of Via Toledo. It's pretty cheap, about 4 Euro for an hour. When we were there in March this year our oldest tried, without success, to connect to the wi-fi at the McDonald's near the port. You had to buy something and the code for the wi-fi was printed on your receipt, but even with that he was unable to connect.
Thanks for the info - we would've been trying at McDonald's.
Disney Cruise Line - 12/05 Magic - Western Caribbean (Costa Maya) ~ 07/07 Magic - Western Mediterranean ~ 04/08 Wonder - Bahamas ~ 12/08 Magic - Western Caribbean (Cozumel) ~ 07/10 Magic - Baltic Sea ~ 06/11 Wonder - Alaska ~ 06/13 Magic- Back to Back in the Med (Greece, then Venice)
Carnival Cruise Line - 10/06 Fantasy - Bahamas ~ 12/11 Dream - Western Caribbean ~ 12/13 Dream - Western Caribbean

Old September 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
5,000+ Club

I wouldn't necessarily give up on it, it may have been his phone.

Old September 21st, 2012, 01:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily give up on it, it may have been his phone.
We'll be working with older version iPod Touches and Kindle Fires In London, there was a McD's across the street from our hotel, so I'd go over there as the hotel charged $15/night for internet access (wired or wireless) - until another guest whispered to me that the hotel bar had free wifi - you just had to be in the bar area to pick it up. I found some steps to sit on near the bar area that turned out to be a great place to get online

In Norway, I found free wifi in the cafe at one of the museums we were touring. One of the boys had been running around on the ship so much, up and down stairs, and his legs were hurting, so while the other boy and DH finished exploring the museum, I waited with him at the cafe and just happened to check

Old March 28th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
A good place to find sfogliatelle (plural, assuming you'll have more than one) is in the Galleria, a shopping arcade across the street from the San Carlo opera house (less than a half mile walk from the cruise port). The shop is called Mary's, and it's right at the Via Toledo entrance to the Galleria (the Galleria is like a big cross, with four entrances).

Pictures that will help you locate Sfogliatella Mary can be found here: http://www.amoitaly.com/napoli/sfogliatella_mary.html

As we're getting more into the nitty-gritty planning as our cruise is approaching, I h ave discovered that Sfogliatella Mary is closed on Mondays - which is the day we'll be in Naples! Figures.

Old March 28th, 2013, 04:43 PM
5,000+ Club

Yes, it is closed on Mondays. I just noticed that when we walked by a couple of weeks ago.

Not to fear, there are lots of good places for sfogliatelle within a block or so of Mary's.

Right in Piazza Trieste e Trento there is Cafe Gambrinus, where you can get coffee with your sfogliatelle and you can sit down if you want.

There's another take away place, like Mary's only smaller, diagonally across the piazza from Gambrinus (near the newsstand) if you're on the run.

Old March 28th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, it is closed on Mondays. I just noticed that when we walked by a couple of weeks ago.

Not to fear, there are lots of good places for sfogliatelle within a block or so of Mary's.

Right in Piazza Trieste e Trento there is Cafe Gambrinus, where you can get coffee with your sfogliatelle and you can sit down if you want.

There's another take away place, like Mary's only smaller, diagonally across the piazza from Gambrinus (near the newsstand) if you're on the run.
Euro Cruiser, thanks for this. I thought there might be other places nearby so we will plot these n our route. We have some fellow cruisers who are on our morning excursion to Pompeii and once we are back, we are planning to go have pizza but I also wanted us to try the sfogliatelle. I remembered Mary's was to be relatively close to port.