Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Key West

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 28th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffymom View Post
We are spending three nights per cruise in key west. Hope for something quaint maybe historic area. Any ideas? We will also make another 2 night stop on our way to ft lauderdale. Want to visit towns and maybe kayack Need ideas for hotels. Not too expensive but we do like nice and views.
I found a very sweet B&B called La Mer and Dewey House. Part of the southern Most hotel chain. If you go to their website, there is are several coupon offers. The only b & b right on the beach!

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by debshomespun View Post
We stayed at Albury Court found here: http://www.historickeywestinns.com/t.../albury-court/
This was pre-cruise in Feb/2011. The prices were reasonable, and I thought convenient.
It was about 4-5 blocks to Duval St., and to Mallory Court. We really enjoyed our stay there. Parked the car when we got there, and never moved it until we left. We walked around alot. It is in town, but we had a room overlooking the courtyard/pool area. Breakfast is included and they had cereal, yoguart, fresh fruit, donuts, bagels, milk, juice, coffee that I remember. Was a quaint place. On one day, we rented bikes for the day, (a place a block or 2 from the B&B) and rode around the whole island. That was really a fun day. There are lots of places to park the bikes and lock them up. Lots of people rent the bikes (bicycles). Its really fun to be at Mallory Square to watch the sun go down. This is what everyone misses when they cruise, the sunset entertainment!

I always enjoy our visits to Key West. It is a real joy to be able to be there overnight to see the little island really come alive! The drive down is a very enjoyable drive, and fantastic scenery. Lots of photo opps along the way!
We have stayed at the Chelsea Place which is a sister property. It was also very convenient.
Caribbean Princess 1/08
Crown Princess 4/10
Crown Princess 2/11
Emerald 9/11
Caribbean Princess 11/12
Crown Princess 4/13

Next up:
Ruby 4/14
Regal Princess 11/14
Regal Princess11/14

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:45 AM
10,000+ Club

I wouldn't stay anywhere else but downtown, and I prefer the end closest to Mallory Square. We just park our car and don't get back in it until it is time to drive back home. We have enjoyed staying at Garden House. It is very inexpensive and nicely run. Your stay includes continental breakfast and beer/wine hour, and there is a little pool.

Our most recent stay was at Curry Mansion and it couldn't have been more perfect. I found it through TripAdvisor. It was very reasonably priced (half the price of the big old town hotels) and included breakfast, happy hour, and self-guided tours of the historic mansion. It was right off Duval St. Breakfast included cooked to order eggs/omelettes, and happy hour included live piano, a full bar, and munchies. If you get thirsty in between, you can get a soda in the machine for 50 cents. If you need to do laundry, there is no charge for machine use or supplies. There are restrooms by the pool. The front porch is huge and there is a nice courtyard with a pool. There is plenty of free parking. There is a computer for use in the main house (free) and wifi. We had 3 rooms, in the annex and in the James House across the street, and they were all very nice. The annex rooms have huge showers and the water was hot and had great water pressure. There are also rooms in the mansion. The owner lives in the house all winter. I can't wait to go back.
coming up....Vision 2014 April, Reflection 2014 June, Admiral Cruises SS Emerald Seas 89,Sky Princess 12/92,RCCL Majesty 8/95,Celebrity Century 5/97,RCCL Voyager 4/00,RCCL Enchantment 11/01,X Millenium 2/02,X Millenium 12/03,X Millenium 11/04,RCCL Explorer 11/05,X Constellation 11/06,Carnival Liberty 2/07,RCCL Enchantment 5/07,RCCL Enchantment 9/07,Caribbean Princess 12/07,RCCL Navigator 2/08,Caribbean Princess 5/08,RCCL Enchantment 9/08, HAL Westerdam 12/08, RCCL Navigator 2/09, RCCL Enchantment 9/09, Emerald Princess 11/09,X Solstice 1/10, RCCL Navigator 12/10,X Solstice 1/11,Ruby Princess 4/11, X Solstice 12/11, RCCL Liberty 1/12, Ruby Princess 3/12, RCCL Majesty 9/12, RCCL Allure 12/12, RCCL Liberty 2/13, X Silhouette 3/13, RCCL Liberty 11/13, X Silhouette 12/13, RCCL Liberty 2/14

Last edited by royalcruz; May 3rd, 2012 at 01:46 AM.

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks.Our plans are fly to Key West prior to our cruise.3 nights then drive to Ft Lauderdale so we will rent a car with drop off in FLL So thinking three nights Key west then at least one more night on our way back to FLL. Maybe Marathon what do you think? Other option is fly to Miami rent car and drive south then back to FLL.

Old May 5th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

IF you want a fantastic, fun, and (hate to say this) pricey place to stay and have an ultimate romantic dinner check out Little Palm Island Resort. It is at mile marker 28.5 on Little Torch Key. They have a launch that picks you up and takes you to the island. Google it to find their website and I think you will be quite impressed.
No, I've never been there myself but I've read and heard nothing but good things about it. It is on my "bucket list". It's expensive but you only go this way once, correct??

Old May 5th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks.Our plans are fly to Key West prior to our cruise.3 nights then drive to Ft Lauderdale so we will rent a car with drop off in FLL So thinking three nights Key west then at least one more night on our way back to FLL. Maybe Marathon what do you think? Other option is fly to Miami rent car and drive south then back to FLL.
Greetings

Why do you want to spend a night between Key West and FLL? It is an easy drive. Is there something specific you're looking to do? Marathon is not high on the list of exciting places in the Keys.

Good Sailing
Tom

Old May 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Red face

Well three nights in Key West sounds like fun and plenty to keep us busy. We love the outdoors. Then thought a couple of nights to work our way back.We want to see the dolphin center, worldwide sports, kayak, explore the little beach bars. So thought it might be fun to move and be closer to explore other areas. Do you think we should stay in Key West the 5 days and just do day trips? Rooms might be less expensive in the middle. I am open for suggestions.
So here is another question. We can fly to Key West rent car and return to Ft Lauderdale. Or maybe we fly to Miami rent car drive down then return it to Ft Lauderdale prior to cruise.
Dang so many options.

Old May 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Another cool place is Sparky's Landing restaurant at Key Colony Beach, about mile marker 56. Good food, cool location.

I like the idea of 3 days in KW, and then taking one or two more leisurely making your way back to Mia/FtL.

Old May 6th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Howdy.

Just came back from KW to FLL.

4 hrs with only a gas stop.

Radar everywhere. Advise your driver
to stick to speed limits.

Have patience, especially mid-day. Traffic
volume increases. Read: chunky power smoothie
through a long, thin straw.

I agree with all the above stops, but I always like to
add something different...why else read CC?

If you want to avoid all the people, restaurants, tips, etc.
and relax some. Here's a cheap alternative.

Stop at Publix supermarket in Marathon Key, get some
fresh subs or tenders and cold drinks; get whatever.

Check your gas. Get back in the car and drive over the
Seven Mile Bridge. Immediately after the bridge
is a small park (Veterans Park) with picnic tables
and a great view. No charge. Take your shoes off, turn
up the Jimmy Buffet music, walk out in the water and be
a part of nature....a no A/C lunch.

The money you save... put toward an excursion to
Fort Jefferson via seaplane, if the weather is good.
We just did this yesterday...awesome day...great snorkeling.
We used Key West Seaplane Adventures at the International airport.

Just a second opinion to all the fine suggestions so far.

In any case, enjoy.

Last edited by maxxedout2; May 6th, 2012 at 07:34 AM.

Old May 6th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Well three nights in Key West sounds like fun and plenty to keep us busy. We love the outdoors. Then thought a couple of nights to work our way back.We want to see the dolphin center, worldwide sports, kayak, explore the little beach bars. So thought it might be fun to move and be closer to explore other areas. Do you think we should stay in Key West the 5 days and just do day trips? Rooms might be less expensive in the middle. I am open for suggestions.
So here is another question. We can fly to Key West rent car and return to Ft Lauderdale. Or maybe we fly to Miami rent car drive down then return it to Ft Lauderdale prior to cruise.
Dang so many options.
Greetings

The rooms in the mid keys will be cheaper than in Key West, but Marathon has a shortage of nice places to stay. You may be better off staying in the Islamadora area. Wide World is there and the kayacking is good in that area. There are plenty of bars no matter which you choose. Most are not on the beach, there are not many beaches in the Keys, but many are on the water.

It can be quite pricey to fly into Key West. MIA or FLL is a toss up. They are very close to each other. If you rent at MIA you should be able to return at FLL with no drop charges.

I will be in Key West in 2 weeks, counting the days.

Have Fun
Tom

Old May 7th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Our daughter did the Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Research Center in March and it was awesome. You need to schedule it in advance. Worldwide Sportsman is a nice store, feed the tarpon nearby at Robbies Marina. We LOVE Key West, have friends there, and spend most of our time there, but we too like to spend a night in the upper Keys coming or going. The Hampton in Islamorada is nice, most or all of the rooms have an ocean view. Lazy Days restaurant nearby is terrific for lunch or dinner. Another nice stop in Islamorada is the gallery that sells artwork in lobster trap wood frames

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxedout2 View Post
Howdy.

Just came back from KW to FLL.

4 hrs with only a gas stop.
Do you need a SunPass to do this drive?

Old June 20th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I believe the answer is "yes" unless you want to take a less direct route. I did it both ways a couple of months ago and got the sun pass with my rental car. Wasn't that much and I'd do it again.

Old June 20th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_tran View Post
Do you need a SunPass to do this drive?
Greetings

The turnpike extension which gets you from the Broward/Miami Dade county line to Florida City is now cashless. SunPass gets you through the toll plazas or they take pictures of your license plate and then send you the bill. The license billing is not possible if you use a rental car. The mini Sunpasses are readily available (CVS and Publix carries them) for only $5 and you can set up your account by phone.

You can use other routes (such as US 1), but they are fairly congested routes with numerous traffic signals.

Enjoy the Keys
Tom

Last edited by tunaman2011; June 20th, 2012 at 02:29 PM.

Old July 1st, 2012, 11:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default thanks for road trip info

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgemama View Post
I found a great web site: FloridaRambler.com Clicked on ROAD TRIP and then downloaded " Florida Keys Road Trip: Handy Mile Marker Guide ". There are so many places to stop along the way to Key West. I am praying that we have a beautiful sunny day to enjoy this drive.
We have a day prior or after cruise and may wander down a bit using the road map--thanks for info

RC Adventure of the Seas 4/6/08
NCL Southward 7/1985

My Victory Review 2010 with Photos, Fun Times,Menus ("old menus")
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...victory+review

Old October 9th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

What is the SunPass? I'm assuming for tolls? Can you get that at rental car places?

Old October 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceLoveCruise View Post
What is the SunPass? I'm assuming for tolls? Can you get that at rental car places?
An electronic toll pass that is usually mounted inside the windshield.

When you rent a vehicle you can ask for one with a SunPass.

Mike

EMAIL

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhopal21 View Post
An electronic toll pass that is usually mounted inside the windshield.

When you rent a vehicle you can ask for one with a SunPass.

Mike
Thanks, Mike!!

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:57 PM
5,000+ Club

Here you go. This tells how the tolls are applied to your rental.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Mike

EMAIL

Old October 10th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Perfect!! I really appreciate your help! Thank you.